Brown County, Minnesota

 

 Burnstown Township

 Burnstown is located in the western part of Brown County. It is bounded on the north by Redwood County, on the east by Leavenworth Township, on the south by Bashaw Township, on the west by North Star Township. Its population in 1890 was five hundred and seventeen; in 1900 it was five hundred and ninety-one, and in 1910 it was five hundred and ninety-six. It embraces all of town ship 109, range 34 west. The Chicago & Northwestern railway traverses the township from northeast to south west, with Springfield as the only station in the township. Boy's lake is found in the northeastern part of this town ship. This township is in the heart of a thickly settled and well cultivated portion of Brown County, having a thrifty, happy and contented population.

The history of this township dates from the first meeting which was held at the house of pioneer J. F. Burns, October 14, 1871; officers elected were: E. L. Cady, chairman; J. A. Potter and R. M. Johnson, supervisors; John Boyes, clerk; David Eshbaugh, assessor; Tedman Gullick, treasurer; A. B. Hubbard and Peter Moe, justices of the peace; P. Cutland and Peter Sist, constables.

The First Comers

The band of settlers which first dared to brave the hardships in this wild, undeveloped section of Brown County, in 1857, included the family of Jonathan F. Brown, who made a claim in section 22. The family was killed by the Indians in 1862, while trying to escape from the township. In the spring of 1858, J. F. Burns, for whom the township was named, E. Otto and a Mr. Webb arrived. J. F. Burns and his brother, Daniel, were the only ones of the early settlers who returned after the Indian War of 1862; they returned the fall of the same year. Other pioneers included:

A. E. Aarans, of Norway
P. F. Altermatt, from Wisconsin
James Arnold, of Ohio
John Bagen, a son of the Emerald Isle
H. Bendixen, of Prussia
Thomas Brophy, of Ireland
Anton Crone, Of Chicago
Lucas Fecker, a German
Charles Gamble, of Wisconsin
Walter Henderson, of England
Dr. H. A. Hitchcock, of New York State
M. Howard, an Irishman
Adam Kalzenberger, a German
H. Knudson, a Dane
L. A. Larson, of Norway
John Lau, a German
Orlin Laughlin, of Wisconsin
Peter McKeever, an Irishman
J. Paule Nuessle, a German
J. J. Ray, of Canada
John Roth, a German
Chris Schewe, a German
Wolfgang Schmid, a German
A. Wangerin, born in Milwaukee
H. C. Warnke, of Wisconsin
G. C. Wellmer, of Prussia
A. E. West, of Wisconsin,
J. D. Yaund, of Pennsylvania

These include several in Springfield.

The first birth recorded in the township was that of Henry Hughes, born in 1869. The first marriage was that uniting Ida J. Scott and J. F. Burns, October 20, 1870.

Village Of Springfield

Springfield was originally known as the village of Burns. It was surveyed into lots in 1877 at a station point along the new railway then called the Winona & St. Peter, but now the Northwestern line. It is in sections 18 and 19, township 109, range 34 west. The first business house was erected in 1872 by H. M. Gamble. In 1881 the village had a population of three hundred; in 1890 it had reached seven hundred and sixteen; in 1900 it was placed at fifteen hundred and eleven, and in 1910 it stood fourteen hundred and eighty-two.

Springfield was incorporated as a village in 1881. The first village records were all destroyed by fire. It is known, however, that J. S. Colomy was the first president of the village. The officers for 1916 are: Fred Bott, president; A. G. Anderson, J. F. Bauch, Herman Birkemeyer, trustees; Edward J. Fernholz, recorder; C. H. Asch, treasurer; John Schultz, assessor; J. J. Ray and J. Farrell, justices of the peace; Jack Foster and August Bigot, constables.

The village owns a fine waterworks plant. It is of the gravity type and is supplied with water from three flowing wells which flow into an eighteen hundred barrel reservoir at the pumping station, and is then pumped to an elevation of one hundred and ten feet to a tank holding seventy-five thousand gallons. This gives a total height from the main business section of the town of about one hundred and fifty feet. There are now in use about three miles of water mains and thirty-six fire plugs or street hydrants.

Of the lighting of Springfield it may be stated that electricity lights the place. It has a two-unit system, one directed to a fourteen by twenty-one Lentz engine generator 100-kw., and the other unit belted to an Ideal engine generator 50-kw., giving a continuous service. In 1890 a city hall was erected costing Six thousand dollars.

The protection against fire is safeguarded by a volunteer fire company of twenty-five members.

The post office was established here in 1873, with M. H. Gamble as postmaster. The amount of business transacted there in the last year was five thousand six hundred and forty dollars. Five rural routes extend out from Springfield.

Burnstown Directory, 1916

Auctioneer
J. J. Ray
B. F. Mowry

Auto-Garages
William Mueller & Schmid
John Schmelz
E. F. Mowry and Louis Kreitinger

Attorneys
A. G. Erickson
E. J. Fernholz
Adolph Frederickson

Bakery
D. Galle

Banks
State Bank of Springfield
First National Bank

Barber Shops
William Anderson
Otto Block

Blacksmiths Shops
August Neismann
Ed. Boelter

Brick and Tile Works
Springfield Brick & Tile Company

Cement Works
Henry Schworzrock

Cigar Factory
F. K. Reasoner

Chiropractor
F. C. Hinkley

Clothing Stores
F. E. Schotzks

Creameries
Springfield Farmers Association

Dentists
J. S. Lommen
J. L. Fritsche

Dray Lines
Eckholt & Johnson
W. N. Anderson

Drug Stores
P. W. Kuske
Olsen Schlick

Elevators
Farmers Elevator Company

Exclusive Dry Goods
H. F. Mierding
Standard Oil Company-P. M. Bott, agent
David Grain and Fuel Company

Feed Store
I. E. Hier

Furniture Dealer
George P. Forster

General Dealers
H. F. Dirks
A. G. Nuessler
Kamolz & Winkelmann Department Store
Adolph Altermatt Mercantile Company
Bauck Brothers

Grocers
H. Neumann
Emil Swanbach

Hardware
W. F. Runk
Schmid & Lehrer Company
Henry Longneck

Harness Shops
Henry Lischefska
John Berg

Hospitals
St. John's Hospital, Church property*

Hotels
The Exchange

Implement Dealers
W. F. Runk
Springfield Implement Company

Jewelry
Olson Schlick
George Bockman

Livery
Albert Knadel

Lumber
Schmid & Lehrer Company
Steinke-Seidl Lumber Company

Meat Markets
Joseph Feckner
A. E. Bigot

Mills
Springfield Milling Company

Millinery
Edna Stafford
Grace M Clark
Merchant Tailor
George F. Taner
Fred Hansen

Newspapers
Advance and the Free Press

Opera Halls
H. Bloenke

Parks
Riverside
Brown's and Martha Anderson Memorial Park

Photograph Gallery
F. H. Kranz

Physicians
Drs. W. A. Meierding
Rothenberg & Schroeder

Produce
Springfield Produce Company

Real Estate Dealers
Paffrath-Schmid Company

Restaurant
E. S. Henry

Stock Dealers
Springfield Elevator Company
Theodore Kroening

Telephone Companies
Farmers & Citizens Mutual
Tri-State and Northwestern companies

Veterinary
T. E. West

* Managed by Drs. Rothenberg and Schroeder

The Springfield Milling Company, an incorporated concern, does a splendid flourishing business and has a capacity of over six hundred barrels a day. They usually sell the product in the states Of Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and Pennsylvania.

St. John's Hospital was founded on money raised by subscription a number of years ago. It is situated on the south side of the river on a beautiful hillside, an ideal location for such an institution.

  Brown County |Minnesota AHGP 

Source: History of Brown County, Minnesota, L. A. Fritsche, M.D., Editor, Volume I, 1916.

 

Please Come Again!!





This page was last updated Friday, 11-Sep-2015 12:42:35 EDT

 Copyright 2011-2021 AHGP - Judy White
The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.