Brown County, Minnesota

 

  Old and Present Named Places

Since the organization of the county there have been towns, cities and villages, or hamlets, as follow:

Dotson, originally "Bedford," is now a discontinued post office and a station point on the Chicago & Northwestern railway in Stately Township, thirty, three miles south west of New Ulm and six miles northwest of Comfrey.

Cobden, with a population of about one hundred and fifty in 1910, is a village in Prairieville Township, on the Chicago & Northwestern railway, twenty-one miles west of New Ulm; has German and Danish Lutheran churches.

Comfrey, in Bashaw Township, on the Chicago & Northwestern railway, thirty miles southwest of New Ulm; has Catholic, Congregational, German and Swedish Lutheran churches.

Essig, a village of less than one hundred people, is a village in Milford Township, on the Chicago & Northwestern railway, eight miles west of New Ulm; has a Lutheran church and other interests.

Evan, a village of one hundred and twenty-five in 1910, is in Prairieville Township, twenty miles northwest of New Ulm; has business interests and a Danish Lutheran and Presbyterian Church.

Hanska, a village of about five hundred, incorporated, in Lake Hanska Township on the Minneapolis & St. Louis railway, thirteen miles south of New Ulm; has a Lutheran and a Unitarian church and business interests.

Golden Gate, a discontinued post office in Home Township, sixteen miles northwest of New Ulm, and eight miles north of Sleepy Eye.

Home, a discontinued post office in Home Township, ten miles northwest of New Ulm and eight miles northwest of Sleepy Eye.

Leavenworth, a discontinued post office in Leavenworth Township, twenty miles southwest of New Ulm.

Linden, a discontinued post office in Linden Township, ten miles south of New Ulm.

Lonetree, a discontinued post office in Eden Township, twenty-five miles northwest of New Ulm, and six miles northeast of Morgan, on the Chicago & Northwestern railway.

McCleary, a discontinued post office in Bashaw Township, twenty-two miles southwest Of New Ulm.

Searles, with a population of fifty or more, a village in Cottonwood Township, seven miles south of New Ulm; has a Catholic church.

Stately, a discontinued post office in Stately Township, thirty-five miles southwest of New Ulm.

Sleepy Eye, with a population in 1910 of 2,247, an incorporated city on the Chicago & Northwestern railway, fourteen miles west of New Ulm.

Springfield, a village incorporation in Burnstown Township, having about 1,600 population in 1910; it is twenty-eight miles west of New Ulm; has Catholic, German and Scandinavian Lutheran, German and English Methodist Episcopal churches; also a Congregational church.

New Ulm, the seat of justice of Brown County, with a population of six thousand, has Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Evangelical Friends, Episcopal and Bethel churches.

  Brown County |Minnesota AHGP 

Source: History of Brown County, Minnesota, L. A. Fritsche, M.D., Editor, Volume I, 1916.

 

Please Come Again!!





This page was last updated Friday, 11-Sep-2015 12:42:39 EDT

 Copyright 2011-2021 AHGP - Judy White
The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.