Brown County, Minnesota

 

  Sigel Township

Sigel Township was originally a part of Cottonwood Township and was named after Gen. Franz Sigel, who won distinction during the Civil War as an officer in the Union army, and later as a statesman. The northern boundary has been changed numerous times on account of crossing the Big Cottonwood River; in 1861 the boundary was made to follow the course of the river as far as possible. Sigel, as now constituted, is bounded on the north by Milford Township, on the east by Cottonwood, on the south by Lake Hanska and on the west by Stark Township. It is somewhat cut up by rough land and numerous little lakes. Among the larger of these lakes may be named Clear Lake, in the northeastern part; School Lake, in the center of the township; Lake Juni, in section 26. There are no villages or railroads in this township, but it is well cultivated as a rich agricultural section. Its population for the last three enumeration periods has been: In 1890 it was Six hundred and eighty; in 1900 it was twenty-five less, and in 1910 it was six hundred and forty-five.

The first township meeting was held here on April 28, 1862; Ernst Brandt was selected moderator and William Bruggert, clerk. Officers elected: Ernst Brandt, chairman; Herman Plath and G. Guggesberg, supervisors; A. Loomis, assessor; II. Hillesheim, treasurer; Fred Frank and H. Manderfeld, justices of the peace, and J. Scheisser, constable.

Several citizens from this township lost their lives in the Sioux outbreak of 1862.

The first settler in this township, as now constituted, was Almond Loomis, who located in section 3, in 1856. In 1862 he, with his brother, Uriah, William Tuttle and seven others were killed by the Indians while trying to reach New Ulm. Several others settled in 1856, among the number C. C. Brandt, who, during the winter of 1856-57, erected a wind-power grist-mill; this was the first mill in Brown County. The buhrs were made from limestone out of the river bed and the timbers were sawed by hand from logs; later it was removed to New Ulm.

The township was created into one school district in 1864, known as No. 4.

Among other settlers who might justly be numbered among the pioneer band in this part of Brown County are these:

John Berg, a German
Christian J. Engel, a German
Capt. Sylvester A. George, of Maine
Christian Krambeer, a German
John Lisenfeld, a native of Prussia
Anthony Manderfeld, of Prussia*
Christian Niedegger, a German
Matthias Penning, a German
Conrad Schweppe, a German
Almond Loomis, of New York, murdered by the Indians at New Ulm

* Who served in the wars in his native land and was in the Union cause in this country and was at the New Ulm massacre

  Brown County |Minnesota AHGP 

Source: History of Brown County, Minnesota, L. A. Fritsche, M.D., Editor, Volume I, 1916.

 

Please Come Again!!





This page was last updated Friday, 11-Sep-2015 12:42:41 EDT

 Copyright 2011-2022 AHGP - Judy White
The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.