Goodhue County, Minnesota

 

 ~ Central Point Township ~

Central Point, the most easterly as well as the smallest of Goodhue County townships, lies in a bend in Lake Pepin directly above Lake City. It contains one complete section and several fractional ones and is bounded on the north and east by the lake, south by Lake City in Wabasha County, and west by Florence. Its surface is broken. An isolated bluff rises in the eastern part, and its peculiar shape has won the name of Sugar Loaf. A point of land extending some distance into the lake about midway between the head and foot of same gives the town its name. By reason of its excellent landing place and its position midway in the lake, there were many early dreams of its future greatness as a shipping point.

Charles Gould settled near here in about 1850. In 1853 a Mr. Gridley made a claim to some land. He was followed by R, L. Phillips, H. L. Barrett and Hannibal Bonnell. Soon quite a flourishing neighborhood gathered about the landing, and in 1855 a village plat was surveyed and speculation in village lots for a time became quite lively. Silas Crop built a store and stocked it with general merchandise. Mr. Feary built a hotel, which was opened by E. S. Harrison. A post office was established and Perry D. Martin was appointed postmaster. In 1856 C. W. and E. Hackett built another store, which was also filled with general merchandise. Charles Moe built a steam sawmill and commenced the manufacture of lumber. At this time Central Point was the only steamboat lauding in the vicinity, and for a period it seemed designed to become a lumbering center, where would be sawed the logs floated down the lake in rafts from points on the Mississippi and the St. Croix.

But it was soon found that Lake City afforded a much better landing, and as a result business was drawn away from Central Point and toward Lake City. However, in 1857 Lewis & Scott built another sawmill, which was conducted for a time by Frank Sterrit and afterward bought and conducted by S. S. and G. H. Grannis. The manufacture of sorghum syrup in later years became an important industry. The first school was taught in 1858. In 1873 a very fine and commodious school building was erected. The first house built in the town was a log cabin constructed by H. L. Barrett. In this house the Rev. M. Sorin conducted the first religious service held in the township. The first death was that of an infant child of C. W. Hackett, in 1856. Of the first marriage no record has been left. It is also impossible to learn of the first town officers, as the early records were destroyed by mice sonic years ago before any transcription was made of the important fads.

The contribution from Central Point to the ranks of the Union army would seem almost impossible were it not a matter of official record. According to these records, no less than twenty-one men enlisted from this town. They were:

Wesley F. Bailey
Dexter Chaddock
James W. Delong
Wallace W. Delong
John R. Graham
Ambrose Gardiner
John Gardiner
George Harrison
Edward B. Hawkins
Marcus Hills
Baker Harrison
Clarence Hubbard
Charles Lathan
Adjutant Perry D. Martin
Levi M. Phillips
John L. Rice
Charles H. Sibley
George Weaver
George S. Harrison
John S. Harrison
Columbus Phillips

John G. Wooley, the famous temperance orator, started a home for drunkards in 1891, and several substantial buildings were erected, but the enterprise was afterward abandoned.

  Goodhue County |Minnesota AHGP 

Source: History of Goodhue County Minnesota, Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge, H. C. Cooper Jr, & Company, Chicago, 1909.

 

Please Come Again!!





This page was last updated Friday, 11-Sep-2015 13:00:26 EDT

 Copyright 2011-2022 AHGP - Judy White
The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.