Goodhue County, Minnesota

 

 Spanish-American War, Company G, Service Record

Following is a brief resume of the war service of Company G:

1898
April 23 President McKinley issued a call for 125,000 volunteers to serve in the war against Spain. Minnesota's quota under this call being 2,874 men;

April 29 Company G left Red Wing for St. Paul:

April 29 entered Camp Ramsey at state fair rounds:

May 7, mustered into United States service as Company G. 13th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry;

May 16, left St. Paul for San Francisco;

June 27, sailed from San Francisco for Manila on steamer "City of Para" Sergeant Neill and Corporal Elk, with recruits, sailed on transport "St. Paul"

July 29 and arrived at Manila August 30

July 5, arrived at Honolulu, three days stop;

July 31, anchored off Cavite;

August 7, regiment disembarked and camped at Camp Dewey, near Cavite;

August 10, first active duly, in the trenches before Manila:

August 13, battle of Manila, the 13th Minnesota, in General McArthur's division, supported the Astor battery.

Sergeant Burnson was killed.

Captain Seebach, Privates W. A. Jones, Alders and Crowell wounded, and the flag of the 13th Minnesota was the first regimental flag raised on the walls of Manila: for seven months thereafter the regiment acted as military guard of Manila, Company G being in the walled town.

1899
January 5, General Otis issued a proclamation to the Filipinos announcing the treaty of peace with Spain, and that the islands had come into the possession of the United States;

February 4, the war with the natives began;

February 22, fire broke out in Santa Cruz district, patrolled by Company G. and in other parts of the city;

March 19, regiment relieved from provost guard duty as the military police of Manila and caused to form a part of separate brigade under command of Brigadier General R. P. Hughes, being by general orders made a part of the 3rd brigade, 2nd division, 8th army corps, under command of Brigadier General R. H. Hall, each company, as it was relieved by the 20th United States Infantry, proceeding to its camping ground on Paseo Santa Lulia, commonly known as the Lunetta;

May 22, the 2nd battalion, consisting of companies K, L, M and G, in command of Captain Masterman, proceeded to the Mariguina road to the north of the Depository, camping separately at from one-half to one mile apart.

March 25, at 5 p. m., the entire regiment took position in a skirmish line along the Mariguina road and participated in the attack upon the insurgents to the north of the road, meeting with considerable resistance and routing the rebels, advancing a distance of about four miles through the country. During this skirmish thirteen enlisted men were wounded. Robert L. Geib, of Company G, in the right thigh.

March 28 the regiment assembled at the Depository and at 7 p. m took up the march to Calocan by way of Manila, arriving at Calocan at 11:15 p. m., a distance of fifteen miles and resting for the night.

March 29 the regiment proceeded by train to Mariola and went into camp. The report for April says this regiment formed part of the 3rd brigade, 1st division, 8th army corps, under Brigadier General Wheaton, stationed at various points along the M. & D. railroad track from Mariola to Santa Isabel, a distance of about twelve miles, guarding and patrolling its track and bridges. Scouting and reconnoitering parties were sent out daily by all the companies.

On the night of April 10 a determined attack was made upon the entire regiment, the idea of the enemy being to destroy the track and bridges, and thereby cut off the base of supplies. The force of the enemy was estimated at 2,500. Fighting continued during the whole night. At daybreak the troops drove the natives a distance of five miles toward the hills, after which the regiment returned to camp. The American casualties were two killed and twelve wounded.

April 11 this regiment formed a part of the forces assembled at Boeave, under Brigadier General Wheaton, in action against Santa Marie. On the following day that city was captured and burned. One man in the regiment was wounded. After this engagement the regiment returned to the station along the railroad tracks.

From this time up to April 22 a number of sharp engagements took place, two enlisted men in the regiment being wounded. April 22 orders were received to have the 2nd and 3rd battalions ready to join an expedition. The 1st battalion remained on the railroad track, guarding and patrolling it, from Santa Isabel to Bigna, a distance of six miles. No trouble occurred.

April 20 the 2nd and 3rd battalions, comprising companies K, L, M and G, under command of Captain Masterman, and companies C, D, E and H as the 3rd battalion, under command of Captain Spear, Major Arthur Diggles, commanding the regiment, formed a part of the provisional brigade assembled at Boeave April 22 to 29.

April 23, at 5:15 a. m., the company was started on the road leading to Noragageray, and marched within one and a half miles of that town. Next morning the regiment engaged the enemy and routed them, taking possession of the town after a short engagement. Two enlisted men of the regiment were wounded.

April 25 the 3rd battalion, under command of Captain Spear, with others, captured the town of Angot. One enlisted man was wounded. The troops returned to Noragageray in time to take part in the attack upon the camp from across the river, the engagement lasting the entire day.

April 26 orders were received making Company G a part of provisional brigade, 1st division.

 April 27, at 6 a. m., the company marched to Angat. On arriving al Angat the 2nd battalion of the 13th and a battalion of Oregon volunteers under command of Major Diggles, forded the river. Several hot skirmishes took place, the rebels being driven toward the foothills. The return to Marengo, which the 3rd battalion took without resistance, was made at 4 p. m.

April 29 the company took part in the capture of Polo and San Raphael, afterward returning to Marengo, May 1 the regiment, with Major Diggles commanding, constituted part of the provisional brigade, 1st division, 8th army corps. The 1st battalion, consisting of companies A, B. F and I, Captain McWade commanding, remained stationed guarding the line of railroad communication from Bigaa railroad bridge to Santa Isabel, while headquarters. 2nd and 3rd battalions, consisting of companies K, L, M, G, C, D, H and E, under command of Major Diggles, then at Marengo, broke camp at 7 a. m. on .May 1. and with other troops, took up the return march to San Raphael, where the enemy was again encountered and routed.

May 2 the advance was continued toward Balinag, terminating in its capture and occupation by the Americans.

May 4 the village of Maasin, strongly fortified, was captured after severe fighting.

May 5 the 3rd battalion, constituted reconnoitering parties, resulting in the capture and destroying of some 15,000 bushels of rice stored for the insurgents.

May 8 Company K constituted part of the escort of the brigade commander on personal reconnaissance, accompanied by Major Diggles at his own request. The party was fired upon and Major Diggles was fatally wounded, dying May 26. 1899.

May 12, Co. D with Oregon troops formed a reconnoitering party and captured San Hdefonso.

May 13 the balance of the command (seven companies under command of Captain Masterman) moved to San Ildefonso. From this place. Co. H with one company of an Oregon regiment moved northward, supporting Young and Harrington, scouts, and after a slight resistance captured the town of San Miguel, driving the enemy three or four miles northward. Upon report of capture the regiment moved forward and reached San Miguel at 5 p. m.

May 15, the troops received orders to move north toward San Isidro within an hour. The provisional brigade, with the 13th regiment in advance; the 2nd Battalion with Captain Seebach forming the advance guard moved forward at 3 p. m. The scouts encountered the enemy near Salacot, and Co. K. as advance guard, drove the natives from their entrenched position. Co's. L and M were deployed on left and right, and Co. G covered the interval between Co's. K and M.

May 15, at 3 p. m., the march northward was resumed in the direction of Salacot, the 13th in the advance. Nearing Salacot, the troops encountered the enemy, and after a sharp engagement the insurgents were routed, leaving nineteen dead on the field. The American troops were quartered in the village for the night.

May 16, the brigade moved forward and occupied Bularte and while at this place the scouts found the enemy in strong force in front of San Isidro.

May 17, the 13th acted as support, deployed skirmishers, covering the advance of Scott's and Utah batteries. The regiment took no active part in the action and entered San Isidro with the column. In the afternoon the 3rd battalion formed part of command and captured Gapan without resistance, afterward returning to San Isidro.

May 18-19, the regiment was in camp at San Isidro and on May 20, marched to Cobia.

May 21 the march to Ayayat was continued.

May 22 Candaba was reached, and May 23 San Simon was the objective point.

May 24 the march to Calumpit was continued without resistance. At Calumpit the 2nd battalion, under command of Captain Masterman, quartered in shelter tents, awaiting further orders.

May 25 the regiment was relieved from service with Provisional Brigade.

May 26 the regiment resumed guard of the railroad from Colocan to Bigaa Bridge. Major Bean assuming command on May 27, relieving Captain Masterman.

May 31, 1899, the regiment was assigned to the 2nd brigade, under Brigadier-General Hall, and on June 3, 1899, with other troops, was constituted into a separate and independent command under Major V. A. Kobbe.

August 10 the regiment sailed on transport "Sheridan" from Manila for San Francisco.

September 7 the "Sheridan'' was sighted from San Francisco, and the news reached Red Wing at 8 p. m.

October 3 the regiment was mustered out at Camp Presidio, San Francisco, and the journey home was a continuation of fetes and celebrations.

The first year after the return of Company G from the war the officers were:

Captain, Oscar Seebach; first lieutenant.
E. S. Mellinger; second Lieutenant,
Edward Skoglund.

The following year Oscar Seebach remained as captain, and Edward Skoglund became first lieutenant, the second lieutenant being E. M. Bassett.

January 6, 1902, Edward Skoglund was elected captain, but declined. A. P. Pierce accordingly was elected captain, and Lieutenants Skoglund and Bassett retained their respective positions.

July 7, 1905, while in camp, F. J. Seebach was elected first lieutenant. Captain Seebach remained in command of the company until May 21, 1909.

July 7, 1906, C. J. Heglund was elected first lieutenant and served until May 24, 1909, when he became captain, a position he still retains.

July 7, 1906, F. W. Foot was elected second lieutenant. He served until May 4, 1908. At that date was elected D. J. Metzler, who served until May 24, 1909.

The present officers are:
Captain. C. J. Heglund;
First Lieutenant, R. G. Rehder:
Second Lieutenant, H. S. Huron.

The beautiful armory was erected in 1900 and completed in 1901. The company is at present in a prosperous condition.

  Goodhue County |Minnesota AHGP 

Source: History of Goodhue County Minnesota, Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge, H. C. Cooper Jr, & Company, Chicago, 1909.

 

Please Come Again!!





This page was last updated Friday, 11-Sep-2015 13:00:32 EDT

 Copyright 2011-2021 AHGP - Judy White
The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.